World Champion Pole Dancer Marlo Fisken
photo: New York Times


Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kyra Johannesen and Lian Tal of Body and Pole

This interview is reprinted with kind permission from the always adorable Jennifer at Pole Skivies

Meet Kyra and Lian of Body and Pole!
How did you get started pole dancing?

KYRA:
I met some dancers that worked at a local strip club in New York City that asked me to choreograph some of their pole routines. The next day I bought my first pole.

(photo of Kyra by AM New York)

LIAN:
I went to my gym, Crunch, to take my first hot yoga class. I hated every minute of it. When the sweat was dripping into my eyeballs, I had enough and walked out of class right in the middle of it. As I was heading back into the dressing room, I walked by the other fitness room and saw a pole dance class going on. I was very intrigued and told myself I HAD to come back the following week to give it a try. I had no upper body strength, so it was really hard, but I had so much fun and was immediately hooked.

(photo of Lian by AM New York)

How did you decide to join together and start your own studio? What’s that been like?

KYRA:
Lian was a super-talented and passionate student of mine at Crunch, and started teaching pole out of her home. As my popularity grew, Lian’s did also. We decided to join forces and create the ultimate pole dance fitness program, Body and Pole.

LIAN:
Kyra has always been an inspiration to me. She is the main reason why I started pole dancing, and she was the one who kept pushing me to become who I am today. It was a no-brainer to me when I decided to open a studio, to bring Kyra in as my partner. I would never do this without her. We make a great team and compliment each other on so many levels. Kyra has become so much more to me than just a business partner. She is my best friend.

Kyra, you started the pole dance classes at Crunch Fitness. How will your own studio be different from those classes? Will you continue working with Crunch?

KYRA:
Crunch Gym has a fantastic group fitness program, and pole dancing is one of its many that rock. I developed the program for Crunch that works wonderfully for its members that want to have their Yoga, Pilates, Hip Hop, and Pole Dance all located at one gym. I look forward to continuing to grow the pole program at Crunch and to be involved in its future.

Body and Pole is the ultimate pole studio. We designed classes for all levels that are small and very hands-on. All our classes are an hour and a half. They have a focus on dance technique, flexibility, and strength training. It’s a place that pole dancers have been waiting for!

What is the first thing you teach students just starting to take pole dancing classes?

KYRA:
The first thing I teach students when they start pole dancing is that they need to leave all their preconceived notions at the door. Soon as the music starts, it’s all about having fun with dance and fitness. Then we move on to a basic walk around the pole with pirouette.

LIAN:
I let the new students know that we all had to start somewhere, even I was really bad and weak when I started. Then I start with some basic strength training on the pole, and continue with some basic walks and spins to become familiar with the pole and their bodies.

How do you take care of yourself, given all the pole dancing you do?

KYRA:
To keep my body happy and pole dancing, I make sure I’m cross training with ballet, pilates, and yoga. I visit my chiropractor every other week, and take a hot bath every night.

LIAN:
I stretch every day. I take long, hot baths almost every night with Epsom salts to soothe the muscles. I eat healthy foods and listen to my body. I have my boyfriend rub my feet and back, too … he is great when it comes to pampering me and making me feel better.



Favorite makeup tip:

KYRA:
Glitter. I don’t think you could ever use too much glitter.

LIAN:
When I go out on the town (which is rare these days …), I love putting on red lipstick and black eye liner. Kind of like the pinup girl look.

Barefoot, sneakers, or platform heels?

KYRA:
I love pole dancing barefoot. It makes me feel connected to the floor and my movement, but I do love my silver 6-inch heels on days that I just need to be fabulous.

LIAN:
Depending on the mood. When I teach, I am always barefoot. Sometimes I feel like putting on my high heels. These days, it is much more barefoot, though, than heels. I say, to each their own, whatever makes you happy is ok with me.

Pole dance move that made you proudest to learn:

KYRA:
Every day I’m working towards my pole technique, but, I have to say, when I completed my first Phoenix “one handed body spiral into the twisted grip handspring,” I was so out-of-my-mind excited, I never thought my body could do that!

LIAN:
Every new move I learn, I am really proud of; it is always an achievement. I was particularly proud when I finally got the Aysha correctly, with my body away from the pole. It took me a really long time to feel safe to pull my body away from the pole.
Pole dance pet peeves:

KYRA:
I really only have one pet peeve when it comes to pole dancing, and that is when people say that they can’t. Half the battle to achieving goals is believing in yourself, and only you can do that.

LIAN:
I have a really hard time with people who don’t point their toes. I also don’t like when people hang on the pole, without engaging their shoulder/back muscles.
Favorite treatment for bruises and sore muscles:

KYRA:
For sore muscles, I take a bath. As for my bruises, they are my battle scars; I embrace them.

LIAN:
Arnica gel works great for bruises, but, honestly, I don’t really care if I bruise; it just shows me that I conquered a new move and my body is learning how to position itself. For sore muscles, I usually take a long, hot Epsom salt bath and drink a lot of water. Advil helps, too, if you are REALLY sore.

Who would you most like to have in the audience when you pole dance?

KYRA:
I love having my husband in the audience when I perform. He is one of my biggest fans. He gets more nervous than I do.

LIAN:
Having my boyfriend in the audience makes me feel safe. I know how much he loves what I do and is so supportive of me.
Who is your hero or role model?

KYRA:
I have had many role models that have guided me through, from teachers, to family, and friends.

LIAN:
My role model is my mom. No doubt about that one. My pole hero? I would say there are so many who inspired me to do what I do. Leigh Ann Reily was one of the first I found on Youtube. I was completely obsessed with her … she and I are friends now and laugh about it all the time. She is still one of my favorites; she is so sexy and creative.
What are your favorite words of encouragement?

KYRA:
Apparently, my students tell me I use many different phrases and words of encouragement, but my most used is Work Diva.

LIAN:
You can do it! Never say I can’t!

What do you like to do when you’re not pole dancing?

KYRA:
I have really been getting into bowling these days. Lian and I are thinking of starting a team Body and Bowl ….

LIAN:
I love having time with my man or my girlfriends to just go have a nice dinner and go to bed early. I’m kind of boring these days … lol.
Anything else you’d like to share:

KYRA & LIAN:
We are super excited about joining the PFA (Pole Fitness Association). We believe this is the perfect group of people who are really there for our community and we are honored to be a part of such an amazing group. Lian is now the East Coast Event Ambassador and we have some exciting things coming up in the future!

B&P student Tracee (photo: AM New York)

To get more information on classes with Kyra and Lian, go to Body and Pole!

P.S. Join the PoleSkivvies group on Facebook! :)

No comments: